Parent Teacher Meetings are a way for parents to meet their child’s teacher (sometimes for the first time – especially in senior classes.) These meetings are usually confined to 10 minutes and spread over 3/4 days so it is a brief meeting to give you an overview of how your child is getting on in class.
- Ask your child to tell you the room number and location of the classroom.
- Arrive 5 minutes before the meeting time (in case the teacher is running ahead of schedule).
- Knock at your allocated time (or a few minutes after – please be mindful that although the teacher will do their best to stick to the schedule – sometimes a big issue is raised by another parent which needs to be addressed and the meeting can run slightly over time.)
- Take notes
- If you have any questions or concerns – share them with the teacher!
Some things that you may talk about include their progress in different subject areas (mainly literacy, numeracy, gaeilge), their social skills, their behaviour and any other issues or concerns that the teacher may have.
It is also a chance for you to talk about any issues or concerns that you may have.
- Is the homework taking too long?
- Can your child complete the homework independently?
- Is your child finding the maths homework difficult?
- Does you child like reading – will he/she read independently?
- Does your child have friends outside the classroom – do they go on playdates/ invited to parties?
- How does your child behave at home?
- How is your child’s comprehension? Does he/she understand what they are reading?
- What is your child’s general attitude to school? Do they enjoy going to school?
It is a great chance to get some advice from the teacher and perhaps hear about how your child gets on in a different environment too.
It is a good idea to have a chat with your child before the meeting – ask them how they are getting on with everything at school and if there are any issues that the teacher may bring up or if there are any issues that they would like you to talk to the teacher about.
If an issue arises during the Parent Teacher Meeting and you would like to discuss it further with the teacher, arrange to make another appointment as unfortunately there are time constraints and other parents may be waiting outside the classroom to meet the teacher too.